Friday, February 19, 2010

Road Trip Day 2





Started out the day at Savannah NWR but it was a disappointment. Not much activity there. Most of the water fowl have left as they do this time of year. I did get some nice shots of Ring-Necked Ducks. They were skittish and took a while to get something other than their hindsides as they swam away from me. So I packed up and headed to St Augustine earlier than I had planned. And. lo, there were few birds at the Alligator Farm Rookery. Lost of Night Herons and Green herons and only a couple White Egrets and Snowy Egrets. I didn't sleep well last night so I checked into my hotel to take a nap while waiting for the light to get less harsh. Went back into the Alligator Farm Rookery around 4pm and the birds were putting on a show as they flew in to roost. We all have a million shots of these big wading birds but we never hesitate to take more and I shot away until they threw us out around 6pm. I purchased a Photographers pass for the year which allows me entry an hour earlier than the public and to stay after closing. Wish I could come back in April/May when I am told things are absolutely crazy with hundreds of birds nesting with their young. Here are some of my favorites shots of the day. Off again tomorrow for the Merritt Island area and will meet up with Don Wuori and others to shoot Viera Wetlands on Sunday.

No comments: