Friday, October 28, 2011

What a wonderful Autumn

As we experience the weather gradually turning a bit cold, I cannot help but reflect back over the last few weeks and months.  It has been a magical Autumn for me this year.  I started the Fall season off with a visit to Cades Cove chasing bears.  The bears disappointed us since they were not as plentiful as we  thought they might be because the cherry trees failed to bloom.  As a result, the bears we did see were obviously a bit underfed and not gaining the weight they need to store up for the winter.  I surely hope it gets better for them.

photo

My travels then took me to Colorado Springs, Colorado.  I lived there in the Seventies and Early 80s, teaching Computer Science at the Air Force Academy.  I spent lots of time in and around Colorado Springs but the highlights of my visit was to the Great Sand Dunes National Park and then to Crested Butte and Trebler and Ohio Passes.  The Aspen Groves in this area was spectacular.  The Shot above was taken alongside the road on Ohio Creek Pass.

photo (1)

And then the last couple of weeks have been spent exploring the Blue Ridge and the Appalachian Mountains for Autumn color and waterfalls and we were not disappointed.  The shot above is at the foot of the Middle Falls in Dupont Forest (NC).  Notice the reflections of the trees up on the bank in the water and rocks down below.  Soon after this shot was taken by my friend Edgar Payne, I slipped and injuried my knee on this hard and slippery slate. It would be an understatement to say that It was worth it but it was!!

No comments: